Preparing for Rain
Although hurricane season has been pretty quiet, we all know things can change in an instant. Have you ensured your home is protected from the elements as more rain may continue to pass through? Here are a few tips to help prepare to help avoid potential rainwater intruding into your home use these precautions:
- Check the gutters and make sure it’s clean: Clogged ones can cause rainwater to back up and damage your roof and house.
- Inspect the roof: Look for loose or damaged shingles and keep an eye out for signs of leakage.
- Be sure to check the inside of your house for ceilings and walls: Any water damage could indicate roof leaks or cracked window seals.
- Trim trees and bushes that are close to the house: When doing yard maintenance cut the branches of a tree that can be weighed down with water or strike houses.
- Check street drains near your home: If they are clogged, call your city’s public works department.
Follow your local news source for up-to-date information on weather situations and pay close attention to their warnings. SERVPRO of Atchafalaya is here for you! Give us a call for your storm damage needs at (225) 667-2220.
Leaky Sink Causes Water Damage
We have placement of our equipment, how many units are needed, and the estimated time they will need to run before a space is dry down to a science!
SERVPRO of Atchafalaya was called out to a home that had a perpetual leak from their sink that had caused water damage. After our team arrived on site, they assessed the extent of the damage to the home, and took multiple moisture readings. From that information, they were able to determine the appropriate number of dehumidifiers and air movers that were needed to efficiently and effectively dry out the space.
Once the proper equipment was in place, we monitored it, and took additional readings daily until the entire space and its contents were dry. Though the air movers and dehumidifiers can be loud, it is important that they remain on until our technicians turn them off. This is to ensure that the drying time is quicker, and that it's dried properly.
Leaks Can Cause More Than Just Water Damage
Water leaks, if left unchecked long enough, can not only result in water damage, but also mold damage.
SERVPRO of Atchafalaya is a local restoration franchise that is extensively trained to perform mitigation for water damage, fire damage, storm damage, and mold damage.
Mold damage in particular can be tricky to treat. If it is discovered early enough, it is something that our technicians are certified to remediate. Some manifestations of mold are caught early enough that they can be treated.
In the case of this home, however, an undiscovered leak continued for some time, and even a thorough cleaning wouldn't be enough to remove all traces of mold. That left SERVPRO of Atchafalaya no choice but to remove all of the contaminated material, treat the remaining components of the structure to prevent mold from growing in the future, and prep the home for reconstruction.